|The Tower of Penfold|
|Removed||August 28, 2000|
|Location||Northern Continent, East of Ghost Town|
Area Lore/Back Story
- Leetah, a flower seller from Penfolds Tower, was later encorporated into the revised Midgaard Cemetary.
- Penfolds is often referenced in Trivia, such as: You question, '16 - Where (removed zone) could one find a Gelatinous Cube?'.
- Clue and Belgarion died the same day (08/10/2000) to the same mob in Penfolds: The Gargoyle Lord.
- After its removal, Penfold's was replaced by Wintermeet Valley.
- Penfold's Tower was installed for a period of two weeks, for Vale's Triat Mastery Quest. The zone was installed by Natilena on December 23rd, 2011, and was removed on January 15th, 2012. Although it was not part of his Triat Mastery Quest, Ink asked for permission to complete Vale's task (map and clear the zone) and this was granted.
- The zone was re-installed for a period of two weeks, for Ghazkull's Triat Mastery Quest. The zone was installed by Tokugawa on September 12th, 2015 and was removed on September 27th.
- The zone held a secret room in the basement containing lots of references to Sir Terry Pratchett's Discworld series of books. There are journal pages referencing dates taken from the Discworld mythos as well as a mob named The Luggage
[ 7] Nayr: Area Changes
Mon Aug 28 00:11:16 2000
The temples and offices of Tel and JohnPaul have been removed, as
have the temples of Masher, Elladan, Torchbearer, and Okk. In addition,
the areas Mummy Tombs and Tower of Penfold have been removed. Old
items from both will continue to be valid, as usual... there were very
few such items from either area. The exceptions were the flowers in
Penfold, I'll see what I can do about creating another flower shop. :)
Neither area fit well, in theme or location, and didn't seem to get
enough use to outweigh their poor fits. Their locations are available
for better-fitting new areas, if you are interested... check the FYI
list and Help Area Writing for more details.
-Nayr the Wise, Area Coordinator
P.S. As always... these changes are after the next reboot. :)
Player Provided Information
Gregar ftells, 'my group is beaten and struggling, but if I can remember where the penfold safe room is we'll be ok'.
### Clearmax killed by a deathwatch beetle at Tall Grass Near a Gravel Path
Kennet ftells, 'Clearmax killed by a deathwatch beetle at Tall Grass Near a Gravel Path'.
Ananasi ftells, 'sigh'.
Kennet ftells, 'that's that place east of the plains with the thing and the stuff right?'.
Clearmax gossips (in common), 'can anyone get my corpse please?'.
Ananasi ftells, 'penfold.yes'.
Kennet ftells, 'yeah, I'm on it'.
Rubicant gossips (in common), 'path to penfold disapeard heh'.
Ibram gossips (in common), 'no fair, i get mobmasters in closed areas'.
Ibram gossips (in common), 'i want to be summoned in by nicademus!'.
Kantor gossips (in common), 'yeah I got Penfold landcrab recently'.
Kantor gossips (in common), ':('.
Trakker ftells, 'i sure wish they hadnt taken out penfolds'.
Adso ftells, '*nod* me too'.
You ftell, 'So post a note to that effect'.
Trakker ftells, 'i was planning on doing some xping there to work on expnext'.
Noctus says (in common), 'penfold used to be great'.
Ptarchyzk says (in common), 'Penfold kicked my butt.'.
Ptarchyzk says (in common), 'Non-caster.. remember? :>'.
Skeeve says (in elven), 'I still am upset about Penfold'.
Rath nods in recognition to Skeeve.
Nazca says (in common), 'penfold was a terrible xp zone'.
Rath says (in common), 'penfold was weird'.
Skeeve says (in elven), 'not even'.
Rath says (in common), 'it was decent'.
Nazca says (in common), 'mages couldt solo it, and it gave poor group xp'.
Skeeve says (in elven), 'Penfold was fine if you knew how to do it'.
Rath says (in common), 'had to be a warric'.
Skeeve says (in elven), 'I xped it with a ranger cleric and racked up xp'.
Nazca says (in common), 'yeah have a warric '.
Nazca says (in common), 'two classes it suits'.
You say, 'So write a note to Nayr, requesting that you be given permission to re-write it to fit his standards'.
Nazca says (in common), 'class combos even'.
Skeeve says (in elven), 'there were a handful of tiny weeny inside jokes'.
Skeeve says (in elven), 'you could easily delete them'.
Skeeve says (in elven), 'and boom... it is fine'.
You say, 'Actively HELP create a solution, if you perceive there to be a problem.'.
Bliss whispers to Tokugawa to bring back Penfold.
Before a Huge Ivy-covered Gate
[Exits: north south]
The end of a very narrow path through the dense trees culminates in a large
steel gate, covered with Ivy. You can barely make out solid bars of steel
nearly twenty feet tall protruding from the trunks of the trees, supporting
the gate. Quite curiously, the trees which seem to have overgrown everything
else, stop abruptly at the steel bars and the gate, as if something prevented
them from growing even another inch inwards.
The sky is cloudless and a warm southerly breeze blows.
(Dark Cyan Aura) Arkanis is resting here.
(Light Cyan Aura) Gregar is resting here.